Each of the MLCC devices has low levels of equivalent series inductance (ESL) and provide high capacitance for their size.
The NFM15HC105D0G3 is the world's smallest three-terminal low-ESL MLCC, providing 1μF in a 0402 format that measures 1.0 mm x 0.5 mm, 60 per cent smaller than other such devices. A 10μF vesion, the NFM18HC106D0G3, is the highest capacity three-terminal low-ESL MLCC, packaged in a 0603 form factor measuring 1.6 mm x 0.8 mm. This is ten times the capacitance of equivalent parts, says Murata. BOth support currents up to 2A.
The use of ceramic capacitors is increasingly important in automotive designs as the amount of electronics increases. Advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) and infotainment system require higher power and drive more electronic control units (ECUs) that require high density MLCC devices with higher capacitance figures and lower ESL characteristics. This allows system designers to fit more capacitance into smaller spaces.
Murata developed a proprietary thin-layer technology to achieve the density when combined with high-precision lamination and advanced electrode construction. The devices are fully compliant with AEC-Q200 standards and have an operational temperature range of -55°C to +125°C.
Related MLCC articles
- 100V 1005 CAPACITOR SMOOTHES AUTOMOTIVE POWER LINES
- CONSIDERING YOUR OPTIONS FOR CAPACITOR SHORTAGES
- FIRST FLIP-TYPE 0510 CAPACITORS FOR AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS
- SAFETY CERTIFIED SURFACE MOUNT CAPACITORS FOR SPACE-CONSTRAINED MAINS POWER DESIGNS
- MURATA LAUNCHES WORLD'S SMALLEST 100nF CERAMIC CAPACITOR FOR 5G SMARTPHONES