Spanish research group CIC EnergiGUNE has developed an interactive map of battery gigafactories being developed across the world.
This is a long way from 2019 when there was a limited number of gigafactories, driven by Tesla’s plant in Nevada, US. Now a map would be out of date within a week, making the interactive map an essential tool.
- Top 8 battery gigafactory plans in 2019
- £1bn battery gigafactory for UK with Nissan EV hub
- Panasonic finally looks at European battery gigafactory
- ItalVolt to turn Olivetti site into battery gigafactory
CIC highlights predictions that 45 to 90 gigafactories will be needed by 2040 to meet predicted production demand for electric vehicles in the region. Northvolt has already committed contracts for €27 billion and has raised more than €17.3 billion funding for its gigafactories, and Tesla has shown its new production plant in Berlin,
Plans have already been announced in Europe to develop more than 20 battery cell factory projects in the coming years with a capacity of 600 GWh. The UK has two such plants announced, with a third heading for planning permission outside Coventry.
The map is at cicenergigune.com/en/blog/world-map-gigafactories
- Renault partners for battery gigafactory in France
- BritishVolt gigafactory founder tries again in Italy
- Svolt in battery Gigafactory deal with Stellantis
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Shaking up the industry with 3D printed solid state batteries
- Battle of the battery formats
- Solar powered camper van has 730km range
- Energous, Wiliot team for battery-free IoT tags
- LiNa Energy raises £3.5m for solid state sodium batteries
- €39m for German green photovoltaic silicon wafers
- ItalVolt signs ABB for battery Gigafactory