Infineon Technologies has developed a range of single stage flyback power controllers for LED drivers and luminaires up to 125 W.
The ICL8800, ICL8810 and ICL8820 single-stage flyback controllers provide constant output for smart lighting and luminaires as well as adapters and chargers, flat TVs, all-in-one PCs and monitors.
All three variants offer benchmarking performance for power factor correction and total harmonic distortion at full-load and low-load conditions, thus enabling platform design and window drivers. They are optimized as secondary-side regulated (SSR) constant voltage (CV) output flyback controllers and are also well suited for primary-side regulation (PSR). To achieve optimum efficiency and low electromagnetic interference (EMI) without compromising light quality, they are featuring critical conduction mode (CCM) and quasi-resonant mode (QRM) with smart valley hopping.
The ICL88xx family offers an external start-up circuit control signal for more flexibility and a cost-optimized bottom-up platform design for many applications. It has a comprehensive set of protection features, including a power limitation and secondary side over-voltage protection.
The devices require a minimum number of external components for cost-effective 125 W designs with Infineon’s CoolMOS P7 power MOSFETs.
- Solid state design allows low profile two-wire LED dimmer
- Amber looks to custom chip in deal with Infineon
The ICL8800 is the basic variant, while the ICL8810 adds a burst mode that allows a very low standby power consumption of less than 100 mW and flicker-free deep dimming down to 0.1 percent for smart lighting applications in connection with microcontrollers.
The ICL8820 adds a DC-input jitter function to boost EMI performance and supports the fulfillment of EMI requirements in DC operation. This eases EMI certification in the design of emergency lighting LED driver applications without additional circuitry, minimizing cost and effort.
The ICL8800, ICL8810 and ICL8820 single-stage flyback controllers are available in PG-DSO-8 packages and can be ordered now.
- Flyback controller for LED designs
- Primary-side-control with active PFC offline LED controller
- 60V fast-dimming LED controller targets automotive lighting
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Deal targets 200kW wireless charging road technology
- Reducing the temperature of molten sodium batteries
- Pilot for UK national EV charging uses smart meter network
- £25m for UK EV solid state battery production
- 5G idle mode boosts battery life
- Coventry steps up battery battle