Fast charging for single cell designs with dual phase switched capacitor architecture
Halo Microelectronics in the US has launched two fast charging chips using a dual-phase switched capacitor architecture for single-cell battery applications.
The HL7138 and HL7139 offer higher charging efficiencies for faster and cooler battery charging operations in a total PCB solution size that’s up to 30% smaller than other designs The smaller total solution size allows for more system-level design flexibility. The high efficiency charge pump has 96.9% efficiency for VOUT=4.5V_5A with 1x22uF and 97.4% efficiency for VOUT=4.5V_5A with 2x22uF.
The faster-charging solution saves consumers time, and cooler charging means less energy is wasted in the form of heat, which is environmentally friendly. Furthermore, the smaller solution size gives device designers more leeway to choose between thinner and lighter form factors, larger batteries for longer battery life, more features, or lower BOM costs.
“As the smartphone market becomes more saturated, product differentiation has become increasingly important to gaining market share. Fast charging is one of the few features that consumers can directly relate to and understand its benefits. Halo Microelectronics has seen switched capacitor-based fast-charging architectures quickly extend from high-end to mid-level smartphones. Therefore, we will continue to develop, innovate, and lead the ecosystem to stay ahead,” said David Nam, CEO of Halo Microelectronics.
Related switched capacitor articles
- Cirrus Logic buys Lion Semiconductor for switched capacitor tech
- Dialog Semi looks to switched capacitor for DC-DC converters
- TI moves to switch capacitor architecture for AC-DC linear regulator
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Schneider, Omron targeted by electricity grid malware
- BorgWarner, Wolfspeed team on 350kW DC fast charger
- Samsung targets automotive with 13 high temperature MLCCs for powertrain designs
- X-Fab adds BCD-on-SOI analysis
- Mitsubishi set to ship 2.0kV IGBT module for industrial use